part 1 warming up, pre-reading, reading and comprehending
blame, challenge, cure, defeat, expert, handle, link, pump, suspect
1. ①doctors say there are several possible ________ for this disease.
②this illness cannot be ________ easily.
2. ①finding a solution to this problem is one of the greatest ________ faced by scientists today.
②last sunday, he ________ me to play another tennis game.
3. ①police ________ that she had some connection with the robbery.
②jess had been killed, and her husband was the obvious ________.
4. ①one of the computers is broken and she's ________ it on me.
②she stole the money but she's trying to put the ________ on me.
5. ①over the years we've become quite ________ at dealing with these sorts of problems.
②many ________ agree that a balanced diet is the key to great health.
6. ①she turned the ________ and slowly opened the door.
②if you can't ________ the job i’ll get someone else to do it.
7. ①the engine is used for ________ water out of the mine.
②the boy washed his head at the ________ in the yard.
8. ①their party suffered a heavy ________ in the election.
②they ________ our team by three goals in the last game yesterday.
9. ①the pipe must be ________ to the cold water supply.
②there's a direct ________ between diet and heart disease.
1. look at the matter simply from a(n) ________ (science) point of view.
2. i like painting very much and i'm going to be a(n) ________ (paint) when i get through school.
3. the fine was for the company's ________ (pollute) of the air near its plants.
4. ________ (announce) of births, marriages and deaths appear in the local newspaper.
5. make sure you carry out the doctor's ________ (instruct).
6. there are perhaps two main ________ (conclude) to be drawn from the above discussion.
the plan you ________ ________ at the meeting is worth considering.
stay indoors — don't ________ ________ ________ ________ the sun.
the coach tried to ________ ________ ________ ________ ________ ________.
________ ________ i ask you to do something, you always say you're too busy.
the truck caused ________ ________ ________ dust as it went down the road.
we ________ sugar and salt ________ our blood system by eating food.
the earthquake ________ ________ ________ ________ it was felt throughout the eastern and central parts of the country.
he promised to ________ ________ the matter.
we are finally able to ________ ________ ________ that we will be releasing our new album tomorrow night!
i suggest that all the debts ________ ________ immediately.
after reading her letter, i ________ ________ ________ that she was a very intelligent person.
i ________ ________ ________ do better than mike.
1. 我太困了，以至于在沙发上睡着了。(so ... that)
2. 你和他都没错。(neither ... nor ...)
3. 我准备明天下午把车修理一下。 (have sth. done)
4. 这起事故是谁的责任？ (be to blame)
5. 利用这项技术，我们可以更方便地交流。(with + n.)
7. 你知道人们是如何将单词和物体联系起来的吗？(link ... to ...)
8. 等汤姆来了我们再开始。(not ... until ...)
part 2 learning about language
traveler: excuse me. can you tell me when the next flight 1. ________ (go) to los angeles leaves?
agent: that would be the six o'clock flight.
traveler: no, i want a flight that leaves in thirty minutes.
agent: i'm afraid the five o'clock flight 2. ________ (require) by you is full.
traveler: oh, no!
agent: don't be so 3. ________ (disappoint). i am sure that the flight that leaves at six o'clock has open seats.
traveler: ok. i'll take that one.
agent: do you want a seat next to the window or on the aisle (过道)?
traveler: i'd like a window seat please. do you have one 4. ________ (locate) in the tail section?
agent: let me see ... yes, i do. ok. here you are. the 5. ________ (board) pass that i am giving you is for seat number 29c.
traveler: thank you. this is a trip i am looking forward to — going home!
agent: have a good trip!
with the invention of personal computers, the internet and cell phones, people have more immediate access (机会) to others and information than any time in history. losing that access can lead to "disconnect anxiety," which is a psychological (心理学的) term 1. ________ (use) to describe the anxious feelings that people experience when they are unable to use their cell phones or cannot log on to the internet. some people 2. ________ (affect) by disconnect anxiety may start to feel upset when they can't reach their friends online. others get really 3. ________ (worry) when they are not able to respond to emergencies, and this makes them feel helpless. still others are so dependent on their cell phones that they are 4. ________ (frighten) of missing any phone calls. cell phones and the internet have become the most important technological tools to these people, who cannot afford to live without these things.
part 3 using language
1. i applied for a job as a teacher in a local school, but i was r________.
2. he's very old, and his m________ are getting slower and slower.
3. keller is ________ (谨慎的) about making predictions for the success of the program.
4. the rural environment has a(n) ________ (积极的) effect on the children's health.
5. the c________ showed the increase in the company's sales during the year.
6. a small but ________ (热情的) crowd cheered as the players ran onto the field.
1. 小时候父母对我要求很严格。 (be strict with)
2. 只要你答应不邀请玛丽，我就去参加你的生日聚会。 (only if )
3. 不管你怎么读这个句子，它都讲不通。 (make sense)